Monday, November 28, 2016

'Emergency transfers...swag'

Week 11: November 28th, 2016

Soooooo, as you can tell by the title of this weeks email, things have been super fun the past 5 days.... We´ll start with Tuesday. This day was already pretty rough because Sis. Frandsen and I (another american sister who only has one more transfer than me) were together for a full day in my area for divisions. We ended up knocking doors all day and tried to communicate as best we could in our broken portuguese. It was super hard, but hey we did it! And found lots of new people to teach while doing so, so that´s good! By the end of the day I was so ready to just go home and sleep in my own bed, and then teach with Sis. Lee the next day though. Little did I know, things were about to get real fun, real fast. 

Around 8pm that night, while still in my area with Sis. Frandsen, I recieved a call from President Matthews.  it´s a big deal when he calls people, so I was already pretty nervous to answer the phone. The first thing he asked was if Sis. Lee was there. I explained that we were on divisions, expecting him to respond with `Ok, I will give Sis. Franco a call instead. But NOPE. He proceeded to tell me that the reason for him calling had to do with me and that he would just tell me right then. The next words out of his mouth were, `You´re being emergency transferred to Santo Antao and your flight leaves tomorrow morning at 7am.... I literally laughed into the phone and said, `Are you serious?`I THOUGHT IT WAS A JOKE BUT HE WAS BEING DEAD SERIOUS. So yeah.. that happened haha. That night was pretty insane to say the least and my emotions were ALL over the place. I went from being in complete shock, to super mad at the world, to super sad about leaving my area and the people in Praia, to accepting the fact that I could literally do nothing about it, and finally to being okay with it. I stayed up till 1am that night packing and deciding what stuff to leave in Praia and what stuff to bring to Santo Antao. I was up at 5am the next morning and the AP´s picked me up at 6am for the airport. I said bye to Sis. Lee in the airport and was on my way! 

It was a 45 minute flight from Praia to Sao Vincente (dot´s island) and I waited there with Sis. McClellan and Sis Goudy for about 5 hours until my boat left for Santo Antao. Yes, a 45 minute boat ride to my new area. And the same boat ride that I will have to take 2 times a month for zone conference....thank goodness for dramamine that´s all I can say. 

The reason for all of this happening is because one of the sisters, Sis. Reneer, is super sick and needed to be moved closer to President and his wife before deciding what to do. She has already returned home once due to sickness, so keep her in your prayers. 

So sorry this email is extremely dramatic....it was just really hard leaving Sis. Lee and the amazing people in Tira Chapeu. That area will always have a place in my heart. I know everything happens for a reason though and I´m grateful to be here. My new area is Porto Novo Norte and my new companion is Sis. Xavier. She is 21, brazilian, and a convert. I already love her and we get along super well. My portuguese is also improving because she doesn´t speak english..haha. There´s only 4 other missionaries on my island (2 sisters and 2 elders,) and it´s been really fun getting to know them. It´s also GORGEOUS here. I get the best of both worlds; mountains AND an ocean view. So swag. 

All in all, things are going well. The work is a lot harder here and we have a lot of people who are struggling to progress, so pls keep our area in your prayers. They also like to spice things up her in Santo Antao when it comes to learning a language, and they cut off the beginning of all their words. So it´s honestly just a guessing game for me. I love it (; 

I have so much to be grateful for in my life, and being here for thanksgiving really made me realize that. I´m so beyond grateful for the love and support of all of you, and especially for my amazing family. I love you guys more than you know. Thanks again for everything and have a great week! xoxo 

--
Much love, Sister Jorgensen 

P.S.  no pics this week bc downloading did not work in the new area!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment